how to get Python to insert special characters in an xml file?

hackingKK hackingkk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 07:53:06 EDT 2011

Hello all.
I am currently developing a python application which reads and writes
some data to an xml file.
I use the elementTree library for doing this.
My simple question is that if I have some thing like & as in "kk &
company " as organisation name, how can I have Python take this as a
litteral string including the & sign and put in the <orgname> </orgname>
tag?
Even same applies while reading the file.  I would like to have the &
come as a part of the literal string.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.