Code hosting services

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 04:32:21 EDT 2011

I found this on StackOverflow and it was very helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10490/best-open-source-project-hosting-site

Now, I have it narrowed down to 3 choices - SF, Google Code and CodePlex.

SF pros:
Very popular and has tons of features.
Trac, while not my first choice when it comes to bug trackers, isn't too
bad and is better than SF's native bug tracker.
I'm more familiar with SF than any other project host.

SF cons:
I don't really like SF's native bug tracker and forums. Alternatives
require some work to set up.

<>

GC pros:
Apparently, there are a lot of Python developers there.
There is integration between the bug tracker and other features as
Thomas Jollans mentioned.

GC cons:
Apparently, it's hard to get noticed there (there are tags, but average
users are probably generally unaware of them, at least when searching).
People who want to submit bugs need to have a Google account.
I don't know a whole lot about GC.

<>

CP pros:
Apparently, there are a lot of Windows users/developers there. This is a
pro since my project is mostly cross-platform, but one sub-project only
works on Windows.
Mercurial is very up-to-date compared GC and SF. I don't know how much
this will matter, though.

CP cons:
I doubt my project will get much attention among the *nix crowd (many
people in this group have a strong aversion to anything associated with
Microsoft).
Overall, not a well known host.
I know next to nothing about CP.

Does anyone know if there are any services that have cross-project
integration? I can see myself closing a ton of bug reports just because
they are issues with the library part of the program, which will be a
separate project (because there will be other projects based on that
same library).
- --
CPython 3.2.1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17592 | Thunderbird 5.0
PGP/GPG Public Key ID: 0xF88E034060A78FCB