Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:05:21 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Summary
> As we all know python allows us to use either tabs or spaces but NEVER
> both in the same source file. And as we also know the python style
> guide says we should use four spaces and refrain from using tabs at
> all costs. Up until now i have blindly followed this pronouncement
> form our leader.

I greatly prefer tabs over spaces for two reasons:
1) As you said, tabs make indentation the choice of the reader, not the
writer
2) Many "make" (the build tool) programs only do tabs, so I don't end up
flipping back and forth between tabs and spaces when moving from Python to
make and back (often in the same vi session)

But despite the inflexibility of spaces, they are simpler; there are some
reasonably strong  computer folk who don't "get" tabs.  I suspect that's why
spaces won.