Proposal to extend PEP 257 (New Documentation String Spec)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 16 23:10:05 EDT 2011

Michael Hrivnak wrote:

> Dodgy medium?  Such as?  I just avoid sending code over any medium
> that is going to change the text in any way.  Are you sending it with
> an instant messenger client or something?  There are lots of ways,
> some very convenient, to transfer files without them being modified.
> If you need to quickly share little snippets where an instant-message
> type medium is tempting, perhaps try pastebin.com.

Some email clients tend to mess with code pasted directly in the editor
window. e.g. arbitrarily word wrapping lines, converting it to HTML,
folding whitespace, inserting a leading space to mask lines that start
with "from", changing the encoding, and other changes.

But I've never come across an email client that messes with attachments.
Just send your code as an attached .py file and it's all good.

However, blog and forum software, even those aimed at programmers, often do
an astonishingly crap job at not messing with your text.

--
Steven