Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

anand jeyahar anand.ibmgsi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 23:59:41 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 08:39, Steven D'Aprano

> I have reluctantly come to do the same thing. There is a plethora of broken
> tools out there that don't handle tabs well, and consequently even though
> tabs for indentation are objectively better, I use spaces because it is
> less worse than the alternative.
>
> Victory of worse-is-better.
Here too. I prefer the 8-space tabs for the simplicity of the input
method. (even while deleting 1 keystroke will do)

> [...]
> > | Some would argue that allowing both tabs and spaces is freedom,
> > | however this line of reasoning is flawed. Allowing a programmer to
> > | format his code in way he pleases is bad, bad, bad. As a member of a
> > | community we must all format our code in the same manner.
> >
> > This leads me to think you're just trolling.
>
> Slow learner, huh? :)
>
> I'm not sure which is worse... that Rick is trolling, and we still give him
> the attention he craves, or that he honestly believes this crap.
>
> I suspect the later. I get the impression that he genuinely has so little
> self-awareness that he doesn't notice that for all his talk about FREEDOM,
> he's constantly trying to deny it to others by forcing them to do what he
> wants them to do.
(denying others freedom) Ha that he is.  But given, i sometimes do go
into these phases (complete and utter lack of self-awareness) i am not
complaining...

Despite all of that, i do believe it will be for the greater good, if
all of us *decide* to use 8-space tabs.