Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sun Jul 17 05:33:35 EDT 2011

* Andrew Berg (Sun, 17 Jul 2011 03:36:31 -0500)
> Not everyone agrees on how many spaces an indent should be (whether an
> indent is a tab or a space-tab), which is a good reason to use tabs.

Not everyone who doesn't agree on indent size actually cares enough
about indent size - especially in someone else's code. I'd say it's
probably rather the majority making this whole debate artificial.

I like my indent four spaces. If you like eight, wonderful, I don't
care, it's your code. If I want to use your code in my own, I completely
have to reformat your code anyway. And if we work on a project together,
we have to agree on formatting anyway, the indent size being the least
important one.

This whole debate is artificial.

> Using tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment solves the
> problem. I really can't think of any problems this would cause that
> aren't superficial.

Sorry, you didn't understand my point. My point is: the distinction
between indentation and alignment is superficial. Indentation /is/
exactly the same as alignment.

Thorsten