Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jul 17 18:06:08 EDT 2011

Anders J. Munch wrote:

>  > Cameron Simpson wrote:
>  >> Personally, I like to use the tab _key_ as an input device, but to have
>  >> my editor write real spaces to the file in consequence.
>
> Just like in the old days:)

Most editors can be configured to do that.

Where they fall down, in my experience, is that having inserted
those spaces, if you want to delete them you typically have to
backspace over them one at a time.

I don't enjoy that experience, which is why I have BBEdit Lite
set up to use tab-only indentation. If I'm feeling conscientious,
I convert to spaces before sharing the code with others. But tabs
work better for me given the tools I use and the way I like to
work.

--
Greg