Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jul 18 06:52:59 EDT 2011

On 07/17/2011 08:01 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>> We don't have that problem any more.  It truly boggles my
>> mind that we're still churning out people with 80 column
>> minds.  I'm willing to entertain arguments about readability
>> of long lines, but the idea that there's something magic
>> about 80 columns is hogwash.
>
> I agree! Which is why I set my line width to 78 columns.

Bah, when I started programming
on the Apple ][+, we had no
lower-case and a 40-column limit
on the TV display.
But you try and tell the young
people today that...
and they won't believe ya'.

-tkc

(expecting somebody to come back with a bit more retro-computing
Four Yorkshiremen bit..."spinning 360k 5.25" floppy drives? We
should be so lucky. I had to hand jump 2000-amp bits with only my
tongue, for a CPU architecture invented by Navajo code-talkers...")