Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 18 10:59:53 EDT 2011

Tim Chase wrote:

>> Roy Smith wrote:
>>> We don't have that problem any more.  It truly boggles my
>>> mind that we're still churning out people with 80 column
>>> minds.  I'm willing to entertain arguments about readability
>>> of long lines, but the idea that there's something magic
>>> about 80 columns is hogwash.
>>
>> I agree! Which is why I set my line width to 78 columns.
>
> Bah, when I started programming
> on the Apple ][+, we had no
> lower-case and a 40-column limit
> on the TV display.
> But you try and tell the young
> people today that...
> and they won't believe ya'.

40 columns? Luxury! My first computer was a Hewlett Packard 28S handheld
programmable calculator, with 22 columns[1] and 32 entire kilobytes of
memory!

(I don't include my previous programmable calculator, a Casio, or was it a
Canon, as the programming language included wasn't Turing Complete.)

[1] I think it was 22 columns -- that's what my HP 48GX has, and I'm sure
the 28S screen was no larger.

--
Steven