Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Jul 18 12:51:24 EDT 2011

* Anssi Saari (Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:28:49 +0300)

> Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> writes:
>
> > The "perfect programming font" is just the one that looks so good that
> > you would also use it for writing email. Dejavu Sans Mono is pretty
> > good. Consolas looks also looks good but it is Windows only.
>
> How is Consolas Windows only? Not that I'd put it in my Windows-free
> systems, but I don't see why you couldn't?

"Consolas ships with all versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7,
including Home Basic. If you’re using Visual Studio 2005, you can
download Consolas from Microsoft. If not, you still may be able to use
the font, though your mileage may vary. I was able to install it on a
Windows XP SP1 machine that doesn’t have any version of Visual Studio.
This PC does have the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK which creates various
“Microsoft Visual Studio” folders under “Program Files”. These may cause
the Consolas installer to think I do have VS 2005. I got no error
messages, and the font was instantly available in all applications.

Another way to get Consolas is to download and install the free
PowerPoint Viewer 2007 from Microsoft. This works on any computer with
Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP SP1 or later. In addition to the
PowerPoint Viewer 2007 itself, the installer will install the following
fonts: Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia and Corbel. Only
the Consolas font is monospaced. All these fonts ship with Windows Vista
and Windows 7."

http://www.editpadpro.com/fonts.html