Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:51:48 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:55, Andrew Berg > I think the reason the
idea isn't dead is because of the emergence of
> new devices with small displays (tablets/smartphones/etc.) and their
> increasing popularity. When writing code that is meant to be run on
> desktops or servers, the 80-column limit is mostly irrelevant, but
> Python running on these small devices, especially with Python code being
> interpreted rather than compiled, it's convenient to edit code on those
> platforms, where there is a significant column limit.

Let me see if I understand: because there exists a possibility that
someone might want (not need) to edit code on a telephone to make a
quick edit to code being interpreted on that machine, _all_ Python
code should limit itself to a line width that may or may not wrap on a
telephone screen?

Is that the argument in favor of an 80-character line width?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com