Re: a little parsing challenge ☺

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 00:59:29 EDT 2011

On Jul 19, 8:11 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> rusi wrote:
> > Every time I try to understand unicode and remain stuck I come to the
> > conclusion that I must be an imbecile.
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
>
> --
> Steven

Yes Ive read that and understood a little bit more thanks to it.
But for the points raised in this thread this one from Joel is more
relevant:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html

Some evidences of leakiness:
code point vs character vs byte
encoding and decoding
UTF-x and UCS-y

Very important and necessary distinctions? Maybe... But I did not need
them when my world was built of the 127 bricks of ASCII.

My latest brush with unicode was when I tried to port construct to
python3. http://construct.wikispaces.com/

If unicode 'just works' you should be able to do it in a jiffy?
[And if you did I would be glad to be proved wrong :-) ]