Stopwatch - pause counter

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 19 14:55:49 EDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 6:41 AM, Morten Klim wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I've started developing a little application for one of my friends,
> which he will use at work to measure his hours working + the time he
> has breaks. I wanna do this in python cause, I just started with this
> language and wanna get more fimiliar with it. Sometimes though, it's a
> bit of a struggle.
>
> I found a nice stopwatch using tkinter, and I've modified it a bit to
> my needs. The only thing I'm missing now is he wan't a pause counter,
> for how long the pause button has been pushed.
> An example:
> I've worked for 2 hours, and wanna go for a break, I push the pause
> button.
> The pause counter then starts ticking, until the start button is
> pressed again. So I have both a counter for working hours and pause
> hours. If the pause button is pressed again,

when working or when already paused?

 > the current time he has kept his break can't be reset,
 >  so it has to add the new time it to the current.
> I hope that made sense.

Not really. This is basically a finite-statement machine, but I am not
sure what state-input transition matrix you intend.

> Here is my code: http://pastebin.com/T8FkMusS

Python3 code. Pastebin has a bug that is adds spaces (where line number
were) that were not pasted in when one copies the text out. So one must
dedent the entire file after pasting into an editor window (IDLE does
this pretty easily with two dedents).

The code looks pretty good and it initially ran, but when I clicked
Start (starts counting seconds), Pause (starts counting pause seconds),
Start (continued with cumulative time), and then Pause, counters goes
crazy, flashing various second readings several times a second. There
may be an tkinter bug, but if you can resume work time, you should be
able to resume pause time. Again, without a design spec, it is hard to
know what you intended.

Start, Pause, Reset (no obvious effect), Start has same effect.

--
Terry Jan Reedy