I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

Johann Hibschman jhibschman+usenet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:16:54 EDT 2011

Thomas Jollans <t at jollybox.de> writes:

> On 20/07/11 04:12, sturlamolden wrote:
>> 3. Unpythonic memory management: Python references to deleted C++
>> objects (PyQt). Manual dialog destruction (wxPython). Parent-child
>> ownership might be smart in C++, but in Python we have a garbage
>> collector.
>
> I wonder - what do you think of GTK+?
> I've only used Qt with C++, and I've always been highly suspicious of wx
> (something about the API, or the documentation… I haven't had a look at
> it in a long time), but I always found PyGTK quite nice.

GTK+ doesn't work well at all on Mac, so if "cross-platform" includes
Macs, it's not a contender.

To quote the gtk-osx.sourceforge.net page:

   Developers considering GTK+ as a cross-platform environment for new
   work are advised to evaluate other toolkits carefully before
   committing to GTK if they consider OSX an important market.

>From experience, GTK apps are pretty awful on OSX.

-Johann