I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Wed Jul 20 09:47:09 EDT 2011

On 20 Jul, 11:59, Thomas Jollans <t... at jollybox.de> wrote:

> I wonder - what do you think of GTK+?

PyGTK with GLADE is the easier to use, but a bit awkward looking on
Windows and Mac. (Not to mention the number of dependencies that must
be installed, inclusing a GTK runtime.)

> Really, while Swing and Tkinter are particularly bad as they draw their
> own widgets

GTK and Qt do that as well.

> > The Eclipse SWT library does some of this for Java does some of this,
> > though it also has flaws (e.g. manual memory management). A Python GUI
> > toolkit could be partially based on the SWT code.
>
> Okay, I haven't used SWT yet: manual memory management? Java is GC!

So is Python, yet wxPython require manual destruction of dialogs as
well.

> It is perfectly reasonable to be required to manually call some sort of
> destroy() method to tell the toolkit what you no longer want the user to
> see

Yes, but not to avoid a memory leak.

Sturla