I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 21 01:44:46 EDT 2011

On 20Jul2011 19:06, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

| RE: *Tim Chase changes topic and talks smack*
|
| On Jul 20, 8:38 pm, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
| > On 07/20/2011 08:17 PM, rantingrick wrote:
| >
| > > RE: *Ben Finney changes thread subject*
| >
| > > Please everyone, do not change the subject of someone's thread because
| > > it's considered rude. Thank you.
| >
| > Right...do not change the subject because it's considered rude.
| > Change it because the topic drifted from the original topic and a
| > fitting subject line helps people decide whether they want to
| > read any subsequent sub-threads.  That's just email etiquette as
| > old as the tubes.
|
| What about the etiquette of staying on topic? The only person who is
| OFFICIALLY allowed to change the subject matter of a thread is the OP.
| Sure some folks might make an off topic post here and there however i
| find it bombastically rude when folks just change a topic of thread
| they do not own.

You're labouring under a misapprehension. The OP doesn't "own" the
thread. Starting a thread on a public list is like throwing a party.
People are going to come. And talk, damn their impudence!

It is good to stay near the topic, but threads will inevitably drift
unless they're talking about something utterly trite. It is good of an
author to mark his/her departure from the main topic, should it be
significant, with a subject change. Or even a new thread.

| How would you like it if i came to your house

You can stop there, thanks.

You continue to confuse a cooperative anarchy with some kind of
stringent autocracy or heavily premoderated forum or something.
As with your docstring formatting opinions or your spaces-vs-tabs
opinions: mandating behaviour is a little pointless - it can't be
enforced, few directives are unambiguously one sidedly good and so
mandating stuff is divisive and will drive people away.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It's quite difficult to remind people that all this stuff was here for a
million years before people. So the idea that we are required to manage it is
ridiculous. What we are having to manage is us.
- Bill Ballantine, marine biologist