Inconsistencies between zipfile and tarfile APIs

Ryan Kelly ryan at rfk.id.au
Fri Jul 22 01:56:22 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 01:45 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 7/22/2011 12:48 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> > On Jul 21, 11:13 pm, Corey Richardson<kb1... at aim.com>  wrote:
> >> Excerpts from rantingrick's message of Thu Jul 21 23:46:05 -0400 2011:

> >> I agree, actually.
>
> Hmm. Archives are more like directories than files. Windows, at least,
> seems to partly treat zipfiles as more or less as such. Certainly, 7zip
> present a directory interface. So opening a zipfile/tarfile would be
> like opening a directory, which we normally do not do. On the other
> hand, I am not sure I like python's interface to directories that much.

Indeed.  Actually, I'd say that archives are more like *entire
filesystems* than either files or directories.

We have a pretty nice ZipFS implementation as part of the PyFilesystem
project:

  http://packages.python.org/fs/

If anyone cares enough to whip up a TarFS implementation it would be
gratefully merged into trunk.  (There may even be the start of one in
the bugtracker somewhere, I don't recall...)

  Cheers,

    Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly