What Programing Language are the Largest Website Written In?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat Jul 23 02:30:41 EDT 2011

On 7/12/2011 4:54 AM, Xah Lee wrote:
> Then, this question piqued me, even i tried to not waste my time. But
> it overpowered me before i resisted, becuase i quickly spend 15 min to
> write this list (with help of Google):
>
>      1 Google ◇ Java
>      2 Facebook ◇ PHP
>      3 YouTube ◇ Python
>      4 Yahoo! ◇ PHP
>      5 blogger.com ◇ Java
>      6 baidu.com ◇ C/C++. perl/python/ruby
>      7 Wikipedia ◇ PHP

    Aargh.  Much misinformation.

    First, most of the heavy machinery of Google is written in C++.
Some user-facing stuff is written in Java, and some scripting is done
in Python.  Google is starting to use Go internally, but they're
not saying much about where.

    Facebook is PHP on the user-facing side, but there's heavy
inter-server communication and caching, mostly in C++.

    The original user interface for YouTube, before Google bought it,
was in Python.  But it's since been rewritten.  All the stuff that
actually handles video is, of course in C/C++.  The load of handling
the video dwarfs the user interface load.

    Wikipedia is indeed written in PHP.

					John Nagle