Convert '165.0' to int

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 24 03:21:28 EDT 2011

Billy Mays wrote:

> I'll probably get flak for this, but damn the torpedoes:
>
> def my_int(num):
>      import re
>      try:
>          m = re.match('^(-?[0-9]+)(.0)?$', num)
>          return int(m.group(1))

As a toy for learning about regexes, that's fine, but I trust you would
never use that in production. There are less verbose ways of wasting time
and memory.

>      except AttributeError:
>          #raise your own error, or re raise
>          raise

"except Foo: raise" is pointless; a bare raise is only useful if you need to
do something before, or instead of, re-raising the current exception.

try:
    boil(kettle)
except HeatingError:
    if isempty(kettle):
        kettle.fill(water)
        boil(kettle)
    else:
        raise

Catching an exception only to unconditionally re-raise it is only good for
generating more heat in the CPU and making other developers laugh at you :)

--
Steven