list comprehension to do os.path.split_all ?

gry georgeryoung at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:18:53 EDT 2011

[python 2.7] I have a (linux) pathname that I'd like to split
completely into a list of components, e.g.:
   '/home/gyoung/hacks/pathhack/foo.py'  -->  ['home', 'gyoung',
'hacks', 'pathhack', 'foo.py']

os.path.split gives me a tuple of dirname,basename, but there's no
os.path.split_all function.

I expect I can do this with some simple loop, but I have such faith in
the wonderfulness of list comprehensions, that it seems like there
should be a way to use them for an elegant solution of my problem.
I can't quite work it out.  Any brilliant ideas?   (or other elegant
solutions to the problem?)

-- George