PyWart: os.path needs immediate attention!

harrismh777 harmar at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 29 15:41:22 EDT 2011

Andrew Berg wrote:
>   * New path module will ONLY support one path sep! There is NO reason
>>  to support more than one. When we support more than one path sep we
>>  help to propagate multiplicity.We should only support the slash and
>>  NOT the backslash across ALL OS's since the slash is more widely
>>  accepted. If an OS does not have the capability to support only the
>>  slash then that OS is not worthy of a Python builtin module. The users
>>  of such OS will be responsible for managing their OWN os_legacy.path
>>  module. We are moving forward. Those who wish to wallow in the past
>>  will be left behind.

I actually agree with this.  Like Timon once told Pumbaa, "Ya gotta put
your behind in the past. . . "

The backslash sep is an asinine CPM/80 | DOS disk based carry-over which
does not fit well with the modern forward direction. The disk based file
system carry-over is bad enough; but, propagating multiple ways of doing
simple things like specifying file-system paths is not helpful in any
context.

The modern direction today (almost universally on the server-side) is to
specify the path from the root "/" regardless of physical disk array
geometries (or physical drives "C:\"). The forward slash actually makes
some philosophical sense, and of course is more aesthetically pleasing.

So, let's put our behinds in the past and slash forward !

--
m harris

FSF  ...free as in freedom/
http://webpages.charter.net/harrismh777/gnulinux/gnulinux.htm