PEP 8 and extraneous whitespace

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 31 03:56:53 EDT 2011

"OKB (not okblacke)" <brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net> writes:

>     	Yeah, what I'm suggesting as the cleanest way is to simply make it
> all one long string literal, which is wrapped by the editor to the
> proper indentation point.  I can't show this in a newgroup post, but
> it'd be like:
>
> def somefunc():
>     	if someCondition():
>     	    	"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
> Fusce fermentum posuere mi eget molestie. Nulla facilisi. Curabitur et
> ultrices massa."
>
> . . . except that the wrapped lines of the lorem ipsum would all line up
> at the same level as the open quote.  This is clean because you get to
> type it exactly as you wanted it.  You don't need to include extraneous
> whitespice to get it to line up or wrap in your editor, and you also
> don't need to choose the wrap points to put in extra quotes, as in your
> example.  The irritating thing about doing it your way is that if you
> later change the text and it rewraps, you have to move your quote
> marks.

You can have the text indented and wrapped how you like it, then remove
the leading whitespace at run-time with ‘textwrap.dedent’
<URL:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2504411/proper-indentation-for-python-multiline-strings/2504454#2504454>.

--
 \        “Sane people have an appropriate perspective on the relative |
  `\     importance of foodstuffs and human beings. Crazy people can't |