Compiling Python 3.2 on Cygwin fails

David Robinow drobinow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:25:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Aly Tawfik <aly.tawfik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 12:44 pm, sewpafly <sewpa... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was able to a little further by changing 2 lines in Makefile.pre.in.
>>
>> On line 170, changed:
>>     DLLLIBRARY= @DLLLIBRARY@
>> to:
>>     DLLLIBRARY= libpython$(VERSION).dll
>>
>> On line 509 it had:
>>     $(DLLLIBRARY) libpython$(VERSION).dll.a: $(LIBRARY_OBJS)
>>
>> which I changed to:
>>     $(DLLLIBRARY) libpython$(LDVERSION).dll.a: $(LIBRARY_OBJS)
>>
>> Compile finishes with:
>> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
>> were not found:
>> _gdbm              _sqlite3           _tkinter
>> nis                ossaudiodev        spwd
>> To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
>> the module's name.
>>
>> Failed to build these modules:
>> _curses            _curses_panel
>>
>> But 'make test' returns many errors.
>>
>> I'm thinking I'll try Python 3.1 instead.
>
> I, too, am facing the same problem. Which version of Python 3.1 did
> you install, and did it work? Thanks!
> --

 Cygwin is not really a supported platform. Reverting to Python 3.1
won't help at all. Download the 2.6.5 source version (i.e., click the
Src box) using cygwin setup. Apply the included patches [some don't
apply cleanly any more]. That will get you most of the way there.
There are a few other issues the details of which I don't remember.
 I'm not sure why there hasn't been a cygwin distribution lately. You
might ask on the cygwin mailing list. [Ultimately somebody with an
interest in cygwin will need to get active in python development. I've
been meaning to do this but life gets in the way.]
  DR