turtles slowing down

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 19 22:29:57 EDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 6:02 PM, EricC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie - I have been teaching myself Python 3 since a few
> months ago. My “self assignments” include some purely for fun. Among
> them was using the turtle module to have multiple turtles running
> around on the screen.
>
> Recently one such fun turtle “project” showed strange behavior that I
> cannot understand – while I achieved my goals (multiple turtles
> oscillate along random straight lines while changing colors), there
> was a steady slowing down of turtles as time goes. Actually they
> became so slow it is not even fun to look at.

There is a bug issue on the tracker that may be related to this.
Unfortunately, the reviser of the turtle module is not actively
maintaining it any more, though this might be an underlying tkinter or
tk issue. Probably something is not being deleted that should be, or you
are simply overloading the canvas memory and re-compute loop.

I have not specifically looked at your code.

--
Terry Jan Reedy