float("nan") in set or as key

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jun 2 09:05:55 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-02, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> But IEEE-754 is not just a "not-very-good" standard. It is an
> extremely good standard.

I get the distinct impression that the people arguing that IEEE-754 is
somehow "wrong" about the value of 'NaN == NaN' are the people who
don't actually use floating point.  Those of us that do use floating
point and depend on the predictable behavior of NaNs seem to be happy
enough with the standard.

Two of my perennial complaints about Python's handling of NaNs and
Infs:

 1) They weren't handle by pickle et al.

 2) The string representations produced by repr() and accepted by
    float() weren't standardized across platforms.

I think the latter has finally been fixed, hasn't it?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Remember, in 2039,
                                  at               MOUSSE & PASTA will