Of Functions, Objects, and Methods-I NEED HELP PLEASE

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Wed Jun 8 16:34:49 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Cathy James <nambo4jb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am almost there, but I need a little help:
>
> I would like to
>
> a) print my dogs in the format  index. name: breed as follows:
>
> 0. Mimi:Poodle
> 1.Sunny: Beagle
> 2. Bunny: German Shepard
> I am getting
>
> (0, ('Mimi', 'Poodle')) . Mimi : Poodle instead-what have I done wrong?
>
> b) I would like to append to my list, but my line dogs.dogAppend() is
> giving a TypeError:
>
> for i in enumerate (self.dogAppend()):
> TypeError: 'list' object is not callable
>
> Any help?
>
> #MY CODE BELOW:
>
> import sys
> class Dog():
>    def __init__(self, name, breed):
>        self.name = name
>        self.breed = breed
>
>    def dogAppend(self):
>        self.dogAppend = []
>        self.dogAppend.append((self.name,self.breed))
>        return self.dogAppend

In Python, everything is an object. And when we say everything, we
really do mean everything. A function is an object too. So when you do
self.dogAppend = [], you're replacing self.dogAppend (the function
object) with a list.

>    def display (self):
>        for i in enumerate (self.dogAppend()):

I don't know what you're trying to do here, because this makes no
sense. dogAppend is going to return a list of a single object, so it's
going to be 0 every time. And enumerate returns two things: the index
and the object. Since you only specified one variable, you get the
tuple of (index, object) which is what you're seeing.

You're supposed to do :

    for i, dog in enumerate(a_list_of_all_the_dogs) :
            print (i,".",  dog.name, ": " + dog.breed)

for what you're  trying to get.