Gnumeric scripting and license

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:18:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Bhushit Joshipura <joshipura at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some information about Gnumeric scripting licensing.
> Here is my question:
> "If I script for Gnumeric using Python, must I release the script
> code?"
> I am unable to draw a line where Gnumeric GPL ends and where
> proprietary nature of macros start.

As a general rule, the GPL doesn't care what you do with your own
modified copy of something; it's only a concern if you _distribute_ a
modified copy (in which case you have to make available the source
code, etc etc). You're fully allowed to fiddle with something and
compile it for your own use, and not release your changes. See for
instance the GPL FAQ which Ben Finney posted, specifically this
question and answer:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

Chris Angelico