Python 2.6 OR 3.2

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Fri Jun 10 02:00:35 EDT 2011

Andrew Berg wrote:
> AFAICT, there are three reasons to learn Python 2:

    ... there is a fourth reason.

The linux distro you are using currently was customized with python 2.x

I ran into this problem this week in fact... on my HP g6 ubuntu notebook
running 10.04 lucid. It ships with the 2.6.5 interpreter. I installed
2.7.1 and 3.2 (from sources) and was working along happy as a clam until
I needed to configure a printer... and the config tools would not
function... some of them would not even open.  Want to guess?  Yup, the
config tools are (some of them) written in python 2.6-- and they don't
run in 2.7.1 nor 3.2  .   :(

So, be careful.  I have had to separate *all* of my python installs on
*every* one of my systems for this similar reason. The bottom line is if
the distro ships with 2.6 (minus the idle) chances are that the
interpreter is there *not* to advocate for python explicitly, but
because the interpreter is being used by the system somewhere. If you
install 2.7 or 3.2 you need to be careful to *not* interfere with the
default setup.

So, you will need to be able to use both.  There is no getting around
it... but, I would start with 3.2 (seriously). Get 3.2 under your belt
and then when you need to, go back and deal with the 2.6 regression.

3.2 is better built, is more logically consistent (it really is, no
kidding), and has some new features that make it very attractive. The
down-side is that some (most) of the library support is still not there
for many projects.   It will take some time, but it will happen.

kind regards,
m harris