Python Card alternatives?

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Sat Jun 11 14:02:29 EDT 2011

* rzed <rzantow at gmail.com> [110611 05:14]:
> Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
> serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
> table management screen, or a data entry front end for a program with
> a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
> with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
> tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
> Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
> maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?
>
> I've been looking at Rebol lately, and it has some points of interest.
> I much prefer Python as a language, but Rebol View's layout
> specifications are wonderfully concise, and the support code seems to
> be fairly straightforward as well. Has anyone tried to mimic their
> approach in Python?
  I've used rebol for over 11 years. Longer than I have used python.
  I've not used rebol/view however, since my meal-ticket is console
  and web progamming. I'm guessing that you are going to find that
  difficult to do, but my suggestion would be:

  1)Get into one of the rebol communities - probably thru altme.
  2)You will find that most rebol programmers work in other
  languages also, and quite a few (like me) in python.
  3)You are likely to get a lot of ideas there.

  cheers
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com