Python Card alternatives?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jun 12 11:18:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 13:07 +0000, rzed wrote:
> Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
> serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
> table management screen,

+1, they are perfect for that, and will be around for a *long* *long*
time.  And I doubt they will ever go away - the web app will change to
be more desktopish.  Gtk already has an experimental HTML canvas
backend, GNOME3 is a canvas controlled via JavaScript, etc...

> or a data entry front end for a program with
> a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
> with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
> tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
> Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
> maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

My advice is to keep it simple.  Gtk/Glade works perfectly well for this
purpose.  The glue code required is trivial.