os.path and Path

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Jun 16 22:55:24 EDT 2011

In article <ite8950jj3 at news6.newsguy.com>,
 Chris Torek <nospam at torek.net> wrote:

> >Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >> Why do you think there's no Path object in the standard library? *wink*
>
> In article <mailman.16.1308239495.1164.python-list at python.org>
> Ethan Furman  <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> >Because I can't find one in either 2.7 nor 3.2, and every reference I've
> >found has indicated that the other Path contenders were too
> >all-encompassing.
>
> What I think Steven D'Aprano is suggesting here is that the general
> problem is too hard, and specific solutions too incomplete, to
> bother with.
>
> Your own specific solution might work fine for your case(s), but it
> is unlikely to work in general.

Note there was quite a bit of discussion some years back about adding
Jason Orendorff's Path module to the standard library, a module which
had and still has its fans.  Ultimately, though, it was vetoed by Guido.

http://bugs.python.org/issue1226256
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PathModule

--
 Ned Deily,