installing NLTK

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 17 17:42:04 EDT 2011

On 17/06/11 22:57:41, Nige Danton wrote:
> Hans Mulder<hansmu at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> On 17/06/11 21:58:53, Nige Danton wrote:
>>> Mac OSX python 2.6.1: I'm trying to install the natural language toolkit
>>> and following the instructions here www.NLTK.org/download I've downloaded
>>> the PyYAML package and in a terminal window tried to install it. However
>
>> You're not really giving us enough information, so I'll just guess:
>
> Sorry.
>
>> Are you trying a command that begins with "sudo"?
>
> Good guess. Yes it's sudo python setup.py install
>
>> If so, then you user password should work, provided you're a member
>> of the 'admin' group.  To find out, type "groups" in a Terminal
>> window.  If the response does not include "admin" as a separate
>
> Ok, thanks. Tried that and the response does not include admin nor my user
> name
>
>> word, then you''l have to ask someone to give you admin rights.
>
> It's a personal computer - there is no one to ask.
>
> When I try my user password the reply is that it's not in the sudoers file
> and the admin password it just rejects. Any idea what I should do?

If you open the "System Preferences" application, and click "Accounts"
(the icon in the lower left), do you get to see your own account?
If so, is the checkbox "Allow user to administer this computer" checked?

If not, try logging out, log in as "admin" and go back to "Accounts" in
"System Preferences".  If the lock in the lower left corner is in the
"locked" state, click it and give the password to open it.
Then select your own account, check the checkbox, log out and log back
in as yourself.  That should make you a member of the "admin" group.

-- HansM