Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:06:50 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 01:09, Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks. didn't know about Ducky keyboard. Looks good. Also nice to
> hear your experience about Truly Ergonomic keyboard.

I like it, see my first-hour review here:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:18154

> no actually i don't know how to make normal letter keys as (ctrl, alt)
> modifiers. You'll need a usb hid remapper. (there's a couple for mac
> os x i linked on my site but i couldn't verify cuz am now on a 6 years
> old powerpc with outdated mac os x) For Windows, Microsoft made a
> layout maker. I haven't used it so i don't know if it allows mapping
> letter keys as modifier. Have you tried it?

I use Kubuntu Linux.

> i don't know much about the subject but from what i read am guessing
> it's possible, because each key just send up/down signals. (whether
> you are using usb or ps/2 makes a difference too.)
>
> (am assumbing above that you want to put modifiers in normal letter
> key positions. But if all you want to do is swap modifier among
> themselves, that's pretty easy. Lots of tools to do that for mac and
> windows.)

Actually, most of the modifiers are just switched among themselves.
Only Win is in a normal-keyboard location.

> But even if you succeded in putting modifiers to letter key positions,
> you may run into problems with key ghosting, because the circuits are
> desigend to prevent ghosting on qwerty layout only (with mod keys in
> their normal positions). Unless your keyboard is actually full n-key-
> roll-over.

I doubt that this is n-key rollover, but it is I think 6-key rollover
and in any case I personally use sticky keys as I have difficulty
pressing more than one key at a time. But in the general sense that is
good to know, if other people use the layout they will need to be
aware of that. Thanks!

> maybe some of these are useful info, but maybe you are quite beyond
> that. Thanks for your info too. Good luck.
>
>  just Xah

Thanks Xah! I will not be online for the next three weeks, so a reply
will be much delayed!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il