Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile toImprovethe Dvorak Layout?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:19:09 EDT 2011

On Jun 19, 10:50 am, Lie Ryan <lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/11 15:14, rusi wrote:

> >> Except that the actual finger strength themselves are not very relevant;
> >> the dexterity of the fingers turned out to matter more because pressing
> >> the keys in a keyboard does not actually take a lot of power.
>
> > Actually there are 3 factors: strength, dexterity and independence.
>
> In piano playing yes; but in typing dexterity is the most important
> factor. When typing, you don't usually need to press multiple keys at
> the same time except for capitals (or if you're an emacs user) and even
> when you do the keyboard will still correctly register the keypresses
> (unlike playing piano, which may produce different sound), also the
> range of movement in typing is much less than a piano, so finger
> independence aren't as necessary in typing.

A quick look at openoffice's autocorrect table shows entries like

ahve have
alwyas always
amde made

What makes the error-entries more natural than the correct ones?

I would suggest its an excess of independence required of the correct
ones
If 'da' is LH and 'di' is RH
da di da di
is easier to type fast than
da da di da

In fact da da di da
is probably harder than da da da da

IIUC dvorak's advantage (one of them) is that it aims for a rhythmic
alternation of LH and RH