Compiling Python 3.2 on Cygwin fails

sewpafly sewpafly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:44:06 EDT 2011

I was able to a little further by changing 2 lines in Makefile.pre.in.

On line 170, changed:
    DLLLIBRARY=	@DLLLIBRARY@
to:
    DLLLIBRARY=	libpython$(VERSION).dll

On line 509 it had:
    $(DLLLIBRARY) libpython$(VERSION).dll.a: $(LIBRARY_OBJS)

which I changed to:
    $(DLLLIBRARY) libpython$(LDVERSION).dll.a: $(LIBRARY_OBJS)

Compile finishes with:
Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_gdbm              _sqlite3           _tkinter
nis                ossaudiodev        spwd
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
the module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_curses            _curses_panel

But 'make test' returns many errors.

I'm thinking I'll try Python 3.1 instead.