using only the django ORM (DB access model) and nothing else.

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Jun 21 21:02:12 EDT 2011

In article <4e012e8d$0$23682$426a34cc at news.free.fr>,
 News123 <news1234 at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a small application running on a host without web server and
> without any need for django except its ORM accessing data bases without
> explicitely writing sql queries.)

You would do much better to ask this question on the django mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/group/django-users).

> I assume there's many libraries (SQL Alchemy or others), which could do
> this job. and which migh have less overhead than django.

Ugh.  I've played with SQL Alchemy a few times and every time I've run
away screaming in the other direction.  I can see how it's useful if you
need to be totally cross-platform, but, man, if that's what it takes to
be cross platform, I'm happy being a MySQL bigot all day long.

> As I am already implementing a web server application with django on
> another host I wanted to use the same syntax / API for my non web
> application.
>
> Now my question:
>
> What would be the minimal setup required to use django orms and nothing
> else.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use the Model layer by itself, if
you want to.  It pretty much stands on its own.