Significant figures calculation

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Tue Jun 28 16:47:50 EDT 2011

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Mel wrote:
>> Erik Max Francis wrote:

>>> That's not really zero significant figures; without further
>>> qualification, it's one.

>>> Two.

>>> Yes.  They're order of magnitude estimates.  1 x 10^6 has one
>>> significant figure.  10^6 has zero.
>>
>> By convention, nobody ever talks about 1 x 9.97^6 .
>
> Not sure what the relevance is, since nobody had mentioned any such thing.
>
> If it was intended as a gag, I don't catch the reference.

I get giddy once in a while.. push things to limits.  It doesn't really mean
anything.  The point was that it's only the 2 in a number like 2e6 that is
taken to have error bars.  The 6 is always an absolute number.  As is the 10
in 2*10**6.  The thought also crossed my mind of a kind of continued
fraction in reverse -- 2e1.3e.7 .  I managed to keep quiet about that one.

	Mel.