get() attribute for Entry in Tkinter

Robert Upton yybar85712 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:15:02 EDT 2011

Dear Pythoners,

I am in the process of generating a simple GUI that wants to read a
string and print it to the terminal after engaging a button.  I am
running into a problem where Python says it does not understand the
get() attribute for Entry.  My code is very simple and is shown
below.  Please provide comments.

Thankyou

import Tkinter
from Tkinter import *

def Test():
    global widgetEntry
    strVal = widgetEntry.get()
    print str(strVal)

root = Tk()                                                 # opens a
new window
textFrame = Frame(root)

widgetLabel = Label(textFrame)
widgetLabel.config(text = 'Enter text')
widgetLabel.pack(side = LEFT)
widgetLabel.pack(expand = YES, fill = BOTH)

widgetEntry = Entry(textFrame).pack(side = LEFT)
textFrame.pack()
Button(root, text = 'Submit', command=Test).pack(side=LEFT)

root.mainloop()