split long string in two code lines

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:11:07 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Tim Chase
<python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>> I'm not seeing the difference between these two. Pointer, please?
>> *puzzled*
>
> Sorry...tried to make that clear in the surrounding text.  The first one has
> the open-paren on the same line as the starting line of content-text; the
> second one just has "print (" on the first line without the text (which is
> on the following line).

Oh! Duh. I am blind as a bat today... for some reason I was staring at
the close parens.

>> Related point: Do you indent the ) to the same level as the opening
>> quote on each line, or do you backdent it to the level of the
>> statement? And, does it (either way) feel like you're writing braces
>> in C?
>
> My personal tastes run to your first form (the close-paren at the same
> indent level as the text) which makes it easy to use Vim's indent-based
> folding the way I mostly like.  I do (well, "did"...I try to shirk C/C++
> these days because I just feel so unproductive compared to coding in Python)
> the same in my own C code for the same reason.  But if employer-standards
> dictate otherwise, when in Rome, render onto Caesar (to throw two aphorisms
> in the blender :)

Aye. Helps to have enough seniority to be able to dictate indent
styles, but otherwise, you just accept it and do it. I was asking
about personal preference there.

Folding's a Good Thing, and even if you don't have an actual editor
facility that works that way (SciTE doesn't use indentation for that
IMHO), it's visually logical to go as far as the backdent. But on the
other hand, the rest of Python doesn't work that way - the end of an
if/for/while is the end of the indent, it doesn't include the
backdented line. Choices, choices!

ChrisA