Dynamic URL shortening

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:23:48 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler at tysdomain.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
> I started working on a project with someone else quite recently, and he has
> a request. The project requires an URL shortener, and he would like it to be
> dynamic for both users and developers. Apparently some applications on the
> mac allow for the user to input some data on a URL shortener and use that
> specific service to shorten URLS. So I'm curious if anyone has had any
> experience with this in python/can recommend a library to look at.

In my MUD client, RosMud, there's a URL shortener that's designed for
people playing a text RPG. The client itself isn't open source (but is
free to download), but the URL shortener is. It's all written in C++,
so it may not be of much use to you, but feel free to grab it from my
rather ugly web site: http://www.kepl.com.au/esstu/rosmud.html

The code is Windows-specific, but the TinyURL code is mostly just
network work, so by the time you've ported it to Python it will be
cross-platform.

Chris Angelico