Problems of Symbol Congestion in Computer Languages

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 04:19:42 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 07:04, Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Russ,
>
> there's a programer's dvorak layout i think is bundled with linux.
>
> or you can do it with xmodmap on X-11 or AutoHotKey on Windows, or
> within emacs... On the mac, you can use keyboardMaestro, Quickeys, or
> just write a os wide config file yourself. You can see tutorials and
> sample files for all these here http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/keyboarding.html
>
> i'd be interested to know what Dotan Cohen use too.

You can see what I started working on yesterday, but it's far from finished:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/keyboard_layout.html

I tried reaching you on Skype yesterday, Xah, but I think that you
blocked me suspecting that I may be a bot. Try to Skype-chat with me
at user "dotancohen", I think that we can help each other.

> i tried the swapping number row with symbols a few years back. didn't
> like it so much because numbers are frequently used as well,
> especially when you need to enter a series of numbers. e.g. heavy
> math, or dates 2010-02-28. One can use the number pad but i use that
> as extra programable buttons.

I don't like the number pad so I'm looking for another solution. I
wired up a spring-off lightswitch to the Shift key and I operate it
with my foot. It's great but it only works when I'm home: it is too
ridiculous to take with me. I'm wiring up two more for Ctrl an Alt,
too bad it's too cumbersome to have ESC, Enter, and Backspace there as
well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il