OT: Code Examples

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd at mega-nerd.com
Tue Mar 1 11:51:25 EST 2011

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd at mega-nerd.com> writes:
> > Why Python? I really can't understand the rush of every man and
> > his dog to Python.
>
> Are you trolling?

Definitely not. As I said I used Python for a number of years
and ditched it in favour of Ocaml and Haskell.

The ease of development and high level language features of
Python look really good if all you know is C, C++ and Java.
The big difference Python and those three languages is that
there are a huge number of classes of bugs which are run time
errors in Python but compile time errors in C/C++/Java.

I will always chose compile time errors over run time errors.

> Anyway, try googling "evil mangler"

I know what the "evil mangler" is. It was called that because it
threw away all the principles of good software design in favour
of expediency. GHC now has a new LLVM backend which does not
depend on the evil mangler and I strongly suspect that the backend
which uses the evil mangler will be dumped in the next year or
two.

> and ask why it wasn't done in Haskell.  Same idea.

Expediency over common sense?

Erik