having both dynamic and static variables

Yingjie Lan lanyjie at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 01:30:55 EST 2011

----- Original Message ----

From: Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>
To: python-list at python.org
Sent: Thu, March 3, 2011 1:27:01 PM
Subject: Re: having both dynamic and static variables

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:45:16 -0800, Yingjie Lan wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Variables in Python are resolved dynamically at runtime, which comes at
> a performance cost. However, a lot of times we don't need that feature.
> Variables can be determined at compile time, which should boost up
> speed.

:This is a very promising approach taken by a number of projects.

Thanks, that's good to know -- so people are doing this already!

:Finally, Python 3 introduced type annotations, which are currently a
:feature looking for a reason.

I have a use for that feature -- I have a project that help build the
scaffold for people to extend CPython. See http://expy.sf.net/
It is only good for Python 2 at this moment.

Yingjie