subprocess running ant

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:32:11 EST 2011

On Mar 3, 2011 1:19 PM, "Thom Hehl" <Thom at pointsix.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to write a python script that will check out and build our
code, then deploy the executable. It will report any failures via e-mail.

> To this end, I’m trying to run my ant build from inside of python. I have
tried the following:

> proc = subprocess.Popen(ant -version')
>
> proc = subprocess.Popen(call ant -version')
>

> These both generate:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "C:\Users\thom\Documents\workspace\autobuild\build.py", line 19, in
<module>

>     proc = subprocess.Popen('call ant -version')
>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\subprocess.py", line 736, in __init__
>
>     restore_signals, start_new_session)
>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\subprocess.py", line 946, in _execute_child
>
>     startupinfo)
>
> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
>

> If I run python from the command prompt and generate this error, I turn
around immediately and run ant –version and it works fine, so it’s not a
path issue.

> Please help?

By default, suborocess just spawns a new processes. It does not go through
the shell, so you have no path. Try adding shell=true to the Popen call.