What do I need to know in order to write a web application in python?

ErichCart ErichCart erichcart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:48:58 EST 2011

By real-time, I mean that I want it to be similar to the way instant
online chess works. Something like here: instantchess.com, but for
RISK.

I thought about making such an application, and now that I want to
practice python I thought that perhaps it can be done with python.
Now after your answers it seems like a hard task not suitable for a
beginner.

But really, I just want to make something useful with python. All I
can do now, is console programs, and that doesn't seem very user
friendly.

In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.

What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?