What do I need to know in order to write a web application in python?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 21:53:28 EST 2011

On Mar 4, 5:07 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 04:48 PM, ErichCart ErichCart wrote:
>
> > In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
> > I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
> > windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
> > and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
> > wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
> > the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.
>
> > What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
> > Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?
>
> As far as I know, no tools exist to make developing desktop apps in
> Python like there do VB.

For desktop applications that use the wxPython toolkit for the GUI,
Boa Constructor is a visual GUI builder and IDE that was written to be
a kind of Delphi for Python.  I've used it happily for a long time. As
the OP mentioned, it can allow visual designing of the GUI (like
placing buttons, etc.), plus tons more.  It's not actively developed
anymore, though, and it is somewhat buggy on Linux (don't know on
Mac).