how to read the last line of a huge file???

tkpmep at hotmail.com tkpmep at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:21:03 EST 2011

Thanks for the pointer. Yes, it is a text file, but the mystery runs
deeper: I later found that it works perfectly as written when I run it
from IDLE or the Python shell, but it fails reliably when I run it
from PyScripter 2.4.1 (an open source Python IDE)! So I suspect
there's a PyScripter issue lurking in here. I'm next going to try the
solution you propose - use only for legal offsets - and then retry it
under both IDLE and PyScripter. Question: how do I use f.tell() to
identify if an offset is legal or illegal?

Thanks in advance

Thomas Philips