my computer is allergic to pickles

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 7 15:28:50 EST 2011

On 3/7/2011 4:50 AM, Bob Fnord wrote:

> I want a portable data file (can be moved around the filesystem
> or copied to another machine and used),

Used only by Python or by other software?

> Would a database in a file have any advantages over a file made
> by marshal or shelve?

If you have read the initial paragraphs of the marshal doc and your
needs fit within its limitations, go ahead and use it. (Also note that
Python could switch to a new version in the future.)

Keyed databases have the advantage that you can change the data file. If
you do not need to do that (as opposed to read in, do whatever, and
write out in entirety) then that is no advantage to you.

Similar to marshal is json, which is more limited but more portable,
because understood by other languages.

--
Terry Jan Reedy