Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Mar 10 15:31:11 EST 2011

On 2011-03-10, GrayShark <howe.steven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:02:41 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> It was curses [ these days people typically use "ncurses" ].
>>
>> Curses that can't be what the OP is referring to.
>>
>> Curses wasn't a VAX/VMS thing, it was a Unix thing (that has been ported
>> to other platforms as well).
[...]

> Actually it was curses;

You tricked me by saying only DEC VAX/VMS programmers would know what
it was.  In fact, many, many Unix programmers knew about curses (and
still do) and very few VMS programmers ever did.  C wasn't very widely
used under VMS, and VMS had it's own screen formatting and form
handling libraries.

> it came with the C compiler.

Yep, along with a bunch of other libraries that originated in the Unix
world.  For the full dose of surrealism, you could install DECShell
and have a pretty complete Bourne shell command-line environment with
the whole suite of v7 utilities.  The process-creation overhead on VMS
was _brutal_ and shell scripts ran dog-slow -- but they ran.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm receiving a coded
                                  at               message from EUBIE BLAKE!!