Python Tools for Visual Studio from Microsoft - Free & Open Source

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 10 18:01:04 EST 2011

Patty wrote:
> Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation!  I
> have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
> SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic.  I would love to have this Python
> tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions:   1)  I have regular
> Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both 2.6
> and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
> work?  2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic notification
> that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or would it be
> advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am relatively newer to
> Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
> something   3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
> page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
> where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would
> you be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

CPython is actually regular Python - the C just clarifies that it's the implementation
written in C (vs. C#, Java, or Python).

There won't be any notification of updates via the software it's self but given
that you heard about the 1st release within days of it coming out my guess is
you'll hear about the updates as well.

I'm not actually certain if following a project on CodePlex will give you e-mail
notifications or not.  I typically subscribe to CodePlex's RSS feed for projects
I'm implemented in - for example this feed http://pytools.codeplex.com/project/feeds/rss
includes all changes to the project.  There's other feeds below the RSS button
which track just new releases or other things.